Sid Ketchum

from Apache to Willy

Moderátoři: lucabil, Suzy Lafayette

nofto

Sid Ketchum

Příspěvek od nofto »

What does mean sid Ketchum may "at any time" discard 2 cards from his hand to regain one life point? I know he can do this like with beer - to save his last life-point. But can he do this also when someone else is on his turn even when Sid is not a target of an attack?

For example there are only 2 players left and there is a General Store in the game and Sid sees his oponent tooks Panic card. Having only one card, can he immediatelly take the 2nd card from General Store and discard both cards for life-point before his oponent will use panic to take one card from his hand?
srab
Site Sherif
Kontaktovat uživatele:

Re: Sid Ketchum

Příspěvek od srab »

[quote:08faeb7f3c="nofto"]What does mean sid Ketchum may "at any time" discard 2 cards from his hand to regain one life point? I know he can do this like with beer - to save his last life-point. But can he do this also when someone else is on his turn even when Sid is not a target of an attack?

For example there are only 2 players left and there is a General Store in the game and Sid sees his oponent tooks Panic card. Having only one card, can he immediatelly take the 2nd card from General Store and discard both cards for life-point before his oponent will use panic to take one card from his hand?[/quote:08faeb7f3c]

From BANG! FAQ v 2.0:

Q34. Can Sid Ketchum use his ability even outside his turn, like a Beer card?
A. Yes, he can.
nofto

Re: Sid Ketchum

Příspěvek od nofto »

[quote:813459e3db="srab"][quote:813459e3db="nofto"]What does mean sid Ketchum may "at any time" discard 2 cards from his hand to regain one life point? I know he can do this like with beer - to save his last life-point. But can he do this also when someone else is on his turn even when Sid is not a target of an attack?

For example there are only 2 players left and there is a General Store in the game and Sid sees his oponent tooks Panic card. Having only one card, can he immediatelly take the 2nd card from General Store and discard both cards for life-point before his oponent will use panic to take one card from his hand?[/quote:813459e3db]

From BANG! FAQ v 2.0:

A. Yes, he can.[/quote:813459e3db]

yes, i have read FAQ, but still, it seems to me unclear. You can play Beer outside your turn, but only in a very specific situation. If Sid can use his ability ANY TIME, then it may lead to funny situations. For example Pedro Ramirez is going to draw a card from the discard pile but Sid immediatelly discards two cards and changes the card on the top. So Pedro has to be quicker? The similar situation is in my first message with Panic card. I think the game should not depend on the speed of reaction :).
srab
Site Sherif
Kontaktovat uživatele:

Příspěvek od srab »

You have right, it will be better to say, that Sid can use his abilities only before phase 1 of all players turn.
nofto

Příspěvek od nofto »

But if he can use his abilities only before phase 1, he can not use it like a beer card (when saving the last life point), because it is during phase 2. Maybe we should ask the author of the game :).
lucabil
Deputy Marshall Sheriff

Příspěvek od lucabil »

I think Sid can use his ability at any time during his turn PLUS like a "no-die" beer ... That's all ...
srab
Site Sherif
Kontaktovat uživatele:

Příspěvek od srab »

lucabil píše:I think Sid can use his ability at any time during his turn PLUS like a "no-die" beer ... That's all ...
From BANG" rules 2nd ed.:

Sid Ketchum (4 life points): at any time, he may discard 2 cards from his hand to regain one life point. If he is willing and able, he can use this ability more than once at a time. But remember: you cannot have more life points than your starting amount!

There is nothing about "during his turn". And another thing is in FAQ v.2.0 from Emiliano :

A. Yes, he can.

What you think now?
Rai

Příspěvek od Rai »

It would be handy for saving your life, if you ran out of life points, but had a lot of cards in your hand.
lucabil
Deputy Marshall Sheriff

Příspěvek od lucabil »

mmm ...

Q34 is what I called a "no-die" beer ...

but I admit that the rules don't say anything letting think he should use his ability in his turn ...

srab, you're right ... as usual :-)
srab
Site Sherif
Kontaktovat uživatele:

Příspěvek od srab »

Lucabil, you are good in rules too. But remains question What to do with Sid Ketchum, when somebody try to take cards from his hand and he discard them to get one life point back. This is not fair.
Rai

Příspěvek od Rai »

How about he can only do it during a player's draw or discard phase? If he is under target of a Panic! or a Cat Balou, then obviously he should not be able to discard a card then to prevent his cards from being stolen.

Of course, he could do it on his own turn and when he loses his last life point, if possible. However, these are ideally the only two times he should be able to do it, to make the ability a four-life one.
lucabil
Deputy Marshall Sheriff

Příspěvek od lucabil »

I think Discarding while being under a Panic! or Cat Balou is absolutely too much ...
A general rule of this game is that cards cannot be answered to ... (does anyone know the stack in Magic?)
So I would not allow for any reason discarding WHILE a card is being played

Anyway ... any play group can decide this as it wants ...
This is a general tule of any game in the world! :-)
cober

The instructions say

Příspěvek od cober »

The Bang instructions say "Normally, a card has an effect, which is immediately resolved, and then the card is discarded."

This means that as soon as soon as a Cat Balou is active with Sid as the target, he cannot discard 2 cards to regain health. He must wait until after the Cat Balou is done.

Sid Ketchum introduces many imbalances into the game, IMHO. For example, let's say that Pedro Rameraiz, who can pick up the top card from the discard pile, wants to pick up the top card. Sid Ketchum could theoretically discard some crappy cards right before Pedro's turn.
For example there are only 2 players left and there is a General Store in the game and Sid sees his oponent tooks Panic card. Having only one card, can he immediatelly take the 2nd card from General Store and discard both cards for life-point before his oponent will use panic to take one card from his hand?
And I think the answer to that is yes. This is true as long as the Panic hasn't been played.
Rai

Příspěvek od Rai »

Sometimes, we try two-character versions of the game. Sid Ketchum and Chuck Wingham is perhaps the most powerful (and arguably illegal) combination there is.

Think about it, and you'll see why.
Suzy Lafayette

Příspěvek od Suzy Lafayette »

Rai píše:Sometimes, we try two-character versions of the game. Sid Ketchum and Chuck Wingham is perhaps the most powerful (and arguably illegal) combination there is.

Think about it, and you'll see why.
I may be wrong but I never intended in the two-character game one can uses the ability of character-1 in favour of character-2 and viceversa: so if Sid uses his ability he can't give one life point to Chuck.

If you never tried this kind of game, I suggest you to try, tactic rules :wink:
Odpovědět