Shooting yourself?

everything about rules

Moderátoři: lucabil, Suzy Lafayette

Odpovědět

Shooting yourself?

Příspěvek od Guest »

Technically you can see yourself at a distance of 0, so is it legal to shoot yourself? I can think of a few situations where this might be useful:

- You're an outlaw with 1 life left, and the Sheriff is on your left and will surely kill you. By killing yourself you prevent the Sheriff from getting 3 extra cards
- You're taking a Ghost Town turn, and you have a Bang card and a Dodge. If everyone you want to shoot is out of range, then shoot yourself, use the Dodge, and draw another card in the hopes you get Indians or Gatling or something like that
- You're Bill Noface and you want to draw more cards on your next turn

And I'm sure there's more...
lucabil
Deputy Marshall Sheriff

Příspěvek od lucabil »

There's nothing in the rules to prevent you to shoot yourself.
The cases you mentioned are indeed good examples about when to do it ...
I'm wondering if anyone ever thought about this funny thing.

Moreover, it would be very "in flavor" with spaghetti western characters :-)
SpectreGadget

Příspěvek od SpectreGadget »

My group has been wondering the very same thing. Is there an official ruling on this to make sure it can be done?
lucabil
Deputy Marshall Sheriff

Příspěvek od lucabil »

[quote:69156ab5af="SpectreGadget"]Is there an official ruling on this to make sure it can be done?[/quote:69156ab5af]

Unfortunetaely, not so explicit. The only way to say that it should be possible, is considering each player to be at distance 0 from himself and apply blindly the distance rule. After all the rules about the player symbols never say "... but different from the player that is playing the card" ...
Suzy Lafayette

Příspěvek od Suzy Lafayette »

On my group we do not allow that for many reasons, maybe clues maybe interpretation of clues:

1) Fratelli di Sangue / Blood Brothers: "At the beginning of your turn, you may lose one life (not your last one!) to give one life to any player you choose". It looks like an implicit way to say it's not possibile to kill ourselves, in extension we say to shoot ourselves.

2) before Dead Man one could kill oneself to come back with 2 lifes and 2 more cards, it does not look fair.

3) it's not explicitly allowed! :P

We would need Emiliano to know which his idea was, in any case I think everyone should decide the funniest way for oneself :wink:
lucabil
Deputy Marshall Sheriff

Příspěvek od lucabil »

[quote:0c52f2a109="Suzy Lafayette"]We would need Emiliano to know which his idea was, in any case I think everyone should decide the funniest way for oneself :wink:[/quote:0c52f2a109]

I agree on both points :)
Emiliano
Marshall Sheriff

Příspěvek od Emiliano »

The official rule is that you cannot shoot yourself. This is done because in tournaments strange situations could arise if you allow this sort of suicide.
However, it is quite safe if you allow someone to shoot himself to use his special ability (e.g., Burt Cassidy or Suzy Lafayette), as it would be a highly-risk, last-resort tactic, [b:97f8783938]but[/b:97f8783938] you cannot shoot yourself if you have only 1 life point left.
SpectreGadget

Příspěvek od SpectreGadget »

[quote:7b1a4cd3bd="Emiliano"]The official rule is that you cannot shoot yourself. This is done because in tournaments strange situations could arise if you allow this sort of suicide.
However, it is quite safe if you allow someone to shoot himself to use his special ability (e.g., Burt Cassidy or Suzy Lafayette), as it would be a highly-risk, last-resort tactic, [b:7b1a4cd3bd]but[/b:7b1a4cd3bd] you cannot shoot yourself if you have only 1 life point left.[/quote:7b1a4cd3bd]

Thank you Emiliano for the input! And I am sure you have heard this before, but I want to let you know that we love this game and play it several times a week during our lunch break at work. It is a fun way to get away from the job. :)
Odpovědět