Introducing BANG! Tactics

what is your variant to play BANG!?

Moderátoři: lucabil, Suzy Lafayette

Odpovědět
martinpulido

Introducing BANG! Tactics

Příspěvek od martinpulido »

While many have noted that BANG! is a fun way to pass the time, trying to exert what little influence one can over many random elements, others have lamented that there is not more strategy involved in BANG! to help you win the game (especially considering how you might be eliminated in the first round). I have tried to conceive of an alternate way to play BANG! that might accomodate these complaints, and I have named this project BANG! Tactics (BTact). BTact does not remove all of the random elements of BANG!, but rather mitigates them to encourage far more foresight and thought on behalf of the players. How? BTact introduces a real shop into the mix, where players can purchase cards to help them accomplish their goals or thwart the goals of others. Instead of drawing 2 cards from the deck each turn, players draw only 1 card instead (despite some character abilities). Besides drawing this 1 card, each player also receives 5 gold during his drawing phase. With this gold, players can purchase cards of different values. For a thorough explanation of this variant, and the rules to set it up, visit http://bangcardgame.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... -bang.html . I would love your feedback.

___

Check out http://bangcardgame.blogspot.com for a BANG! blog that discusses modding, card production, alternate gameplays, and strategy.
benabel
Kontaktovat uživatele:

Re: Introducing BANG! Tactics

Příspěvek od benabel »

Hello!

I have read your whole article. It is interesting idea but I post comment what I don t like.
I suggest follow:
  1. At end turn of each player, player grains 1 gold/1 $
  2. At end turn, if player played none card, he grain 1 gold/ 1 $
  3. In phase 1, player grains only 4[3] gold/ 4[3] $ for each not drawn card
  4. In phase 3, player grians 1 $ for each discarded card returned to shop
  5. Nobody grains 1 gold/ 1 $ for using his ability(Sid Ketchum, Jose Delgado)
  6. Discarded card by CAT BALOU is discarded or return to shop, this should be up to previuos owner of card, in both case he doen t get 1 gold/ 1 $
  7. played card not return to shop
martinpulido

Hey, thanks for checking out my variant and commenting on it. As per your recommendations, here is my response:

1. I am not sure why this should occur. Why should any player gain gold at the end of his turn just because? If he cannot use gold between his turns, is this not just the same as given him +1 more gold a turn (besides his first turn)? I think if a gold bonus is to be given, then there should be a reason (at least tactically). Of course, the auto-1 gold does have an impact if your suggestion 3 is accepted.

2. This bonus is actually already in place, as I explained in the post. :D

3. So they could potentially draw either from the deck or just get coins? This is an interesting suggestion. I am not sure which way I prefer. I would like to see them both tested to see which is more fun. :D

4. Not quite sure what you mean here. Does discarded card mean each card a player plays he gains 1 gold for it, OR he gains 1 gold for each card he discards from another player OR something else that I did not understand. The first two options are not quite to my liking. The first option seems to nullify suggestion 2: whether or not I play a brown card I get a 1 gold bonus. The bonus is nigh guaranteed (could just be blue) regardless of action; not my cup of tea. The second is interesting, but I am not quite sure why a reward should follow from it.

5. Sid Ketchum doesn't get gold for using his ability as far as I know. He uses cards. Jose Delgado, while a valid case for this, isn't part of the original/base game, so I have not been concerned with him yet. The only case where I have considered this applying so far is with Black Jack and perhaps Suzy Lafayette when no cards are in her hand. I could go either way here, and might test it.

6. I don't know if it can be up to the owner. Allowing more cards into the discard pile changes the probabilities of which cards are drawn from that deck. Since I think the draw deck is semi-reasonably balanced I don't want to upset it too much by transferring too much into it. Of course, this will happen somewhat with the cards in people's hands v. in the shop, but the restocking of the shop first works as somewhat of a control to balance the ratios between them. It seems like the best control at the moment at least. It should be noted that Cat Balouing someone's card and it returning to the shop does not make it much easier for the person who discarded it to buy it. Phase 1 of his turn has already past, giving all other players a chance to purchase it before he can on his next turn.

7. This would completely upset the balance of the deck as far as I can understand. See my concern in my response to suggestion 6. Secondly, besides ratios, it makes it so that coins could become potentially superfluous. You gain them, but can never use them because there are no cards left in the shop to buy, and voila, normal BANG! all over again. I prefer a system that allows the altered gameplay to remain throughout the whole duration of the game.

Thank you for your thoughtful remarks. Some of the suggestions are quite compelling, and I will have to try them out. I found 3 especially interesting.
benabel
Kontaktovat uživatele:

Příspěvek od benabel »

I am happy you read my post. I found out that some written idea wasn t good.

1. I like number 3

2. Cards should return to shop:
  • all discarded card(in phase 3, Cat Balou, ...) count as sold
    all discarded card by using abilities but nobody grain any gold for them
    played card but nobody grain any gold
3. Panic and Cat Balou can be used in normal way or diferent to steel 3 gold(Panic) or to lost 3 gold(Cat Balou) instead effect any card.
martinpulido

Hey, sorry it took so long to get back with you. I don't quite understand your number 2 in your last post, but I think 3 is an excellent idea. I might make the coin value 5 that you can steal or destroy (3 is only the value of the lowest card in the game, a BANG! card). I like this suggestion because you can then use a Panic/Cat Balou card to gain more coins to purchase a card you need or to keep someone else from purchasing a card they need (or it appears they will get to hurt you or someone you want alive). Thanks for the suggestion!

____

Check out http://bangcardgame.blogspot.com for a BANG! blog that discusses modding, custom expansions, card production, strategy, and alternate gameplays.
Odpovědět